About CLSI’s Subcommittee on Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing (AST)
The goal of the Subcommittee on AST is to provide useful information to enable laboratories to assist the clinician in selecting appropriate antimicrobial therapy for the best patient care.
Volunteers for the Subcommittee on AST come from places such as microbiology laboratories, government agencies, and pharmaceutical and diagnostic microbiology industries.
Together, they focus on the following key elements:
- Developing standard reference methods for antimicrobial susceptibility tests
- Providing quality control parameters for standard test methods
- Establishing interpretive criteria for results of standard antimicrobial susceptibility tests
- Providing suggestions for testing and reporting strategies that are clinically relevant and cost-effective
- Continually refining standards and guidelines, thereby optimizing the detection of emerging resistance
- Educating users through multimedia communication of standards and guidelines
- Fostering a dialogue with users of these methods and those who apply them
In this way, the interests of the professions, government, and industry remain balanced and aimed at a single common interest—quality medical testing.
RangeFinder—Free Microsoft Excel spreadsheet calculators for MIC and Disk.
Disclosure of Interests
AST Subcommittee Orientation 2014